School Final Project Ideas

Home Forums Speakout Forum School Final Project Ideas

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Greetings.

I have almost completed my bachelors degree. Just a few credit hours to go! I have a portfolio planning term this year and need some help with ideas for my a project.

I am going to create a raspberry pi zero based portable emulation machine. I will be designing the case from scratch and need some opinions on your handheld gaming experiences.

What has been the most comfortable handheld you have owned/played?

How do you hold that handheld?

Hypothetically, a new handheld by a major company has been announced. What is the bare minimum battery life that you expect from it? (default screen brightness, wifi off).

What is the minimum screen size that you can tolerate when playing handheld games?

Do you prefer gloss or matte finish (please explain why, if you have time.)?

Anyway, thanks for any info you can give.
      -Oswin

Isiac DaGraca
      Keymaster

Vita with the trigger attachment is the most comfortable i’ve held

Feels like a normal controller

8 hours is the minimum for me personally for a new device, the vita is ok at abour 5-6 hours but i’d prefer longer.

I prefer a minimum of 5 inches

matte finish is less pretty but more functional overall IMO.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thanks for your input. Helps out a lot. Also, forgot about that vita attachment. Might buy one for testing purposes.

“I prefer a minimum of 5 inches”
        -Isiac DeGraca, 2016

oooooooooooh ;>

Isiac DaGraca
          Keymaster

@oswinfaulhaber never go below average.

Jacob Kellogg
      Keymaster

I hold it down in my lap, so the screen tend to look like crap cause the angle. Battery…Idk, never went and used it enough.

That thing wolf posted looks great.

Gloss looks better, but the matt and material of my Lumina kills it. So smooth and amazing feeling.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thanks for the reply, any little bit of info helps.

Ryuuga Hideki

Sorry for the late post, I was having trouble logging in to the site for a little while. That math puzzle thing Kellogg mentioned was keeping me from logging in.

Anyway… I’m really quite flexible with my handhelds but for me battery life is primary, something that both Nintendo and Sony have lost a bit of with the newest handhelds. 8-10 hours would be just about perfect, but 4-6 is manageable as long as it uses a standard USB- based charger to be able to access an external battery pack.

In terms of ergonomics, I still love the GameBoy Advance (not the SP) and GameBoy Micro the most. Something about the way that they had you hold the system really worked for me. Vita would be a runner up, and especially with that grip that Wolf posted, though I do get a bit of a cramp after a couple of hours with my Vita that doesn’t really happen with my 3DS XL. (Not sure why)

As far as screen size goes, I’ve been playing portables since the original GameBoy and still fire my GameBoy Pocket up from time to time so screen size isn’t really an issue for me personally – though I realize I’m by far an outlier in this opinion. More than screen size I’d prefer screen clarity; something that the Vita is the reigning champ of with dedicated handhelds, but still pales in comparison to even an iPhone 4. 350-400 dpi is the sweet spot to where your eye begins to not tell a difference, but even about 300 is pretty good. A 5-inch 720p screen would be nearly ideal – with the dpi scaled to fit in either smaller or larger sizes.

I hope all goes well with this project!

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thank you for your input. I understand what you mean with the hand cramps and the vita. My hands cramp up too. Although, the 3DS XL hasn’t been any better because the gloss makes my hands sweat for some reason.

Great point on screen quality vs. size, I will definitely think about that.

Thanks!

Jacob Kellogg
      Keymaster

Good luck man!!

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thanks, my dude!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.